More Info

Land Use & Zoning


See Also…

City Clerk's Office

City Council

Bylaw Fast Facts

Snowmobile Usage

Did you know?

The City of Yorkton has a Snowmobile Bylaw!  This Bylaw states that no person shall operate a snowmobile within City limits, except on the designated routes established in the Bylaw. 

To view the designated route and read more on the Snowmobile Bylaw No. 33/2012 click here

Why does the City regulate this?

The purpose of the Snowmobile Bylaw is to promote the safety and protection of residents and their property in the City of Yorkton. 

Parking Near Schools

Did you know?

"No Parking" or "No Stopping" areas are often established around crosswalks located adjacent to schools.  These restrictions are enforced under the Traffic Bylaw No. 10/2000. 


For the safety of those using the crosswalk! When vehicles park too close to crosswalks they obstruct visibility for pedestrians using the crosswalk and motorists approaching the crosswalk. 

Specific areas are established as "Loading Zones" to load and unload students.

Recreational Vehicle Storage in Driveways

Did you know?

The Property Standards Bylaw No. 1/2011 states that camper trailers, including motor homes, travel trailers, fifth wheel trailers, and boats, are not permitted in residential driveways from October 1st to April 30th. 

Why does the City regulate this?

The Property Standards Bylaw aims to maintain continuity and appeal in residential neighbourhoods.  However, the City also understands the need for recreational vehicle storage in driveways during the summer months to accomodate seasonal use. 

Front Yard Hedge Height

Did you know?

The Zoning Bylaw No. 14/2003 requries that hedges, fences and walls extending beyond the front corner of your house be no more than 1 metre (3.3 ft) in height.  On corner lots, hedges, fences and walls within the sight triangle must be less than 0.6 metres (2.2 ft) in height as shown below. 

Why does the City regulate this?

For your safety:  Limiting the height reduces visual obstructions for people backing out driveways, walking down the street, turning corners, etc.


Did you know?

The Cat Control Bylaw No. 23/2003 requires that cat owners ensure their cat is not running at large.  The City of Yorkton suggests that cats be either kept indoors, in an outdoor enclosed cat run, on a harness or leash or under continual supervision. 

Why does the City regulate this?

For your cat's safety:  a cat running at large can be hit by a vehicle, attacked by other animals, or exposed to unwanted diseases and extreme weather conditions.  And for your neighbours enjoyment of their property: cat's running at large can be a nuisance as they often use gardens and flower beds as litter boxes. 

Grass and Weeds!

Did you know?

The Property Standards Bylaw No. 1/2011 states that no owner or occupant of a property shall allow their yard to be overgrown with grass and weeds. 

Why does the City regulate this?

Overgrown yards can become a haven for rodents, mosquitoes, skunks, etc.  Overgrown yards can also affect the appearance and enjoyable atmosphere of neighbourhoods. 


Camper Trailer Parking

Did you know?

The Property Standards Bylaw No. 1/2011 states that camper trailers cannot be parked in a residential front yard; however, campers can be parked in a driveway from May 1st to September 30th.  Also the Traffic Bylaw No. 10/2000, states that camper trailers cannot be parked unattached on City streets. 

Why does the City regulate this?

The Property Standards Bylaw aims to maintain continuity in residential neighbourhoods and appealing properties in the city.  The Traffic Bylaw restricts campers being left unattached as it is a safety concern should it need to be moved during an emergency. 

Dog License

Did you know?

The Animal Control Bylaw No. 23/2011 requires that every dog owner obtain an annual Dog License for each dog in their possession. 

Why was this Bylaw created?

A Dog License provides contact infromation and an address to get a lost dog back to its owner in a timely fashion.  The License also states when a dog last had a Rabies shot in case of a dog bite. 

Fire Pits

Did you know?

The Fire Prevention Bylaw No. 15/2010 requires that residents with a fire pit obtain an Outdoor Burning Permit each calendar year.  The Bylaw also prohibits the burning of: rubbish, garden and lawn refuse, animal carcasses, etc. 

Why was this Bylaw created?

For your safety: Fire Protective Services main concern is that no person is injured while enjoying their fire pit.  By limiting the size and what materials are burned we can lessen any impact on friends and neighbours. 

Dandelion Control

Did you know?

The City of Yorkton does not have a Bylaw regulating dandelion growth.  The City tries to control dandelions on their property by using an integrated pest management program that consists mainly of cutting, with aeration and fertilization for sport fields and spraying in some locations. 

Why doesn't the City have a Bylaw to regulate this?

A Bylaw like this would be very challenging to enforce due to the relatively short life cycle of each dandelion plant.  Therefore, residents are encouraged to treat their lawns as they see fit. 

Garage Sale and Realtor Signs

Did you know?

The Sign Bylaw No. 16/2003 states that no advertisement - including garage sale signs or real estate signs can be located in a public street, sidewalk, boulevard or centre median, or on a public tree, sign or light pole.  No advertisement can be placed as to obstruct free and clear vision of vehicular traffic.

Why was this bylaw created?

Because it's a safety concern: advertisements on traffic signs, centre medians, boulevards, etc. are distracting to drivers.  Advertising signs placed in a public place can cause obstructions for pedestrians or other City departments tasked with maintaining these areas.