Kathy Ritchie, Returning Officer
Tel: (306) 786-1717
Fax: (306) 786-6880
Municipal and School Board Elections to be held on Wednesday, October 26, 2016.
Municipal and School Board Elections will be held on Wednesday, October 26, 2016.
This involves the election of a Mayor and six Councillors for the City of Yorkton.
Good Spirit School Division No. 204 - will be electing 3 Board Members from the City of Yorkton at large.
Christ the Teacher Roman Catholic Separate School Division No. 212 - will be electing 4 Board Members from the City of Yorkton at large. We will also be accepting nominations for 1 Board Member to be elected from Sub-Division No. 3 representing rural Yorkton and area.
All positions are for a 4 Year Term. Additional Information can be obtained by calling the City Clerk's Office (Returning Officer) at 306-786-1717.
Details applicable to the Election have been compiled in the Candidate's Information Booklet. Please click this link to view and download a copy.
Responsibilities of City Council
City Council in the City of Yorkton consists of a Mayor and six Councillors.
The purpose of City Council is to govern the City, authority is given to us from the Province of Saskatchewan through legislation, The Cities Act for one or more of the following purposes:
(a) to provide good government;
(b) to provide services, facilities and other things that, in the opinion of Council, are necessary and desirable for all or a part of the City;
(c) to develop and maintain a safe and viable community;
(d) to foster economic, social and environmental well-being; and
(e) to provide wise stewardship of public assets.
Qualifications for Voting
Eligibility to Vote
To be eligible to vote for the Mayor and Councillors an elector must meet the following qualifications:
- Must be at least 18 years of age on Election Day;
- Must be a Canadian citizen;
- Must have resided in Yorkton for at least three months immediately preceding the day of election and in Saskatchewan for at least six months immediately preceding the day of election; or the elector must own assessable land within Yorkton, which must be registered in the Individual's name.
To be eligible to vote for the School Boards within the City of Yorkton:
- Individuals are entitled to vote for only one School Board.
- The qualifications listed above apply.
- In order to vote for the Separate School Board you must be of the religious faith of the minority that established the separate school division (If the Separate School Division was established for people of the Roman Catholic faith, then you must be of the Roman Catholic faith. However, if the Pope in Rome is recognized as the leader of your church, for example, Ukrainian Catholic, you are considered a member of the minority Catholic faith thereby becoming an "elector" for the Roman Catholic separate school board).
The residence of a person is the place where that person normally resides. A person who is temporarily absent from the place where he or she normally resides does not lose his or her residence. If a person has more than one home in the Province, that person must choose one as his or her residence.
Voters lists are not utilized in the City of Yorkton. You must register to vote when you come to your polling place.
Electors must produce identification at the polls before receiving a ballot. There is a long list of criteria acceptable as voter identification so that all those eligible to vote are not excluded. However, Photo ID is your best choice. Most people will use their Saskatchewan Driver’s Licenses. You will only require one original piece of identification if it has your photo, name and address and it is issued by a federal, provincial or municipal government. If you are a non-driver, you may still obtain Photo ID from SGI at a small cost. If you do not have Photo ID, then you will need to provide two pieces of approved identification.
Non-Photo ID Options
If you don't have photo identification and are unable to obtain photo-ID before Election Day, you can present two other pieces of information as long as both contain your name and at least one contains your address.
Identification Options - click to learn more
For information regarding Election Day Polls, Polling Places and other poll information please see Polling Information.