Historically, Yorkton has progressed through a series of wastewater treatment facilities. The first Municipal facility was a septic tank at Smith Street and 6th Avenue in the early 1900's. The facility was replaced in 1909 by another septic tank at Dracup and Darlington Street. This discharged into Yorkton Creek.
In 1937 the first mechanical sewage plant was constructed at Dracup Avenue and York Street. The plant consisted of a primary clarifier, aeration tank and final clarifier with sludge drying beds. It was rated at 1 MIGD. Additional upgrades where made between 1949-1951 when an anaerobic digester and a trickling filter were added.
Again because of operational problems and poor performance the aerated lagoon
in turn was abandoned in 1979 and a mechanical secondary plant was
constructed adjacent to the lagoon where the current plant is located. The
plant's design capacity was 1.54 MIGD.
The City outgrew that facility and began construction on a entirely new plant in 1988. In 1991 the City of Yorkton officially opened the H. M. Bailey Water Pollution Control Plant. This plant is still in use today.