Utilities FAQs

See Also…

Finance Dept


Tel: (306) 786-1726
Fax: (306) 786-6880

All properties in the City of Yorkton are billed for water and sewer services, based on the metered water consumption.

The City of Yorkton Utilities Department is financially self-sufficient and therefore is not subsidized by the tax base.  The revenue generated by the utility rates is adequate enough to meet all the expenses of that department.

The rates are broken down into a base charge, a recycling levy, a garbage fee, and a consumption charge.  The base charge is the minimum amount required to keep an account active, the recycling charge is collected for Sask Abilities as a means of subsidizing paper and cardboard recycling, as well as the residential recycling program.  The consumption charge is a variable charge based on the volume of water passing through the water meter.

2019 Utility Billing Rates

Property Class

Base Rate


Recycling Levy

Garbage Fee

Residential (includes buildings/condos with up to 4 self-contained units)

$11.25 / month

$14.10 / 1,000 gallons

$6.00 / month per unit

$10.65 / month per unit
Multi-Family Residential (buildings with greater than 4 self-contained units) $46.12 / month $14.10 / 1,000 gallons $6.00 / month per unit $8.50 / month per unit


$46.12 / month

$14.10 / 1,000 gallons



Currently the City of Yorkton has one type of meter in use.  It measures your use in cubic meters.  The calculation for your water bill is done using imperial gallons and therefore the computer converts the consumption to gallons prior to the calculation of your bill.

 If you wish to convert your water consumption to gallons, use the following calculation:

  • 1 cubic meter (m3) = 219.96138 gallons

Understanding your Water Bill

Water bills are sent out once every two months.  A sample copy and explanation of how to interpret your water bill can be found here:  Sample Water Bill

Want to receive your water bills through e-mail? Fill out our application form here: e-Bill


It is in your best interest to ensure that there are no leaks in your water system, as you are billed for all water passing through the water meter.  If a plumbing problem is detected the Utility Billing Department is to be notified immediately.  Once the plumbing problem is fixed, copies of the receipts for the repairs must be provided to the Utility Billing Department.

The Utility Billing Department will perform a consumption test to determine if the problem is fixed.  If an adjustment is warranted only the most recent bill will be adjusted.  All City of Yorkton utility accounts are entitled to a one (1) time adjustment.

Special Services

In addition to monthly water and sewer services the City of Yorkton offers a number of user-pay services.  These include:

Water OFF and ON for repair
(during regular business hours)

$150.00 + GST

Replacement of Frozen Water Meter

Cost Recovery + GST

Thaw of Frozen water connection

City will thaw free of charge during
normal working hours (first occurrence)

Installation of Residential water and sewer connection - flat rate costs apply for residential water and sewer connection replacements.

Installation of Commercial water and sewer connections - all new installations, replacements and repairs of connections will be charged at actual cost.

Public Works regular business hours are from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. CST Monday to Friday.  To book an appointment please call (306) 786-1760.

No work will be done by City of Yorkton staff on private property with the exception of repair and maintenance of the water meter in your home.  The water meter must be accessible at all times.

Utility Locates

If you require assistance locating the water lines or locates on the property, please let us know, provide a minimum of eight hours notice, and we will be happy to assist you. In emergency situations, locates will be determined as soon as possible.

Water Main Breaks

To report a water main break during regular business hours, please contact the Public Works Department at (306) 786-1760.  After regular business hours please contact the After Hour Emergency Service at (306) 786-1799.

Landlord / Tenant Agreement

Effective March 1st, 2005 the City of Yorkton has changed their waterworks policy. The objective is to improve billing accuracy by ensuring tenants are responsible for the water during their occupancy, and landlords are responsible for the water during the time when the property is vacant. In the past, tenants have not set up accounts for water and sometimes months of consumption are in dispute.

The water service will automatically change into the landlord/owners name when a tenant vacates. Basically, this means that the owner will be responsible for the consumption of water during vacancies. The homeowner will be notified by mail when the water account is put into their name. Given the usual short time frame between tenants, the typical connect and disconnect fees have been waived for landlord/owners. If an owner expects a long vacancy and wants to ensure that there is no consumption, a request can made for the City to physically turn the water off at the curb-stop. The fee for this service is $150.00 + gst and must be paid in advance.

All accounts must be set up in person at City Hall. The City is requesting the owner/landlord's co-operation to provide information on "new" tenants. The City can then collect the $160.00 deposit from the tenant and set up the water account in conjunction with occupancy dates.

Return to Top