History and Folklore Summary
1890 - 1899
- The Orkney Literary and Debating Society's subject for the week of March 4th was Stock-raising versus Grain growing, resulting in favour of Stock-raising. (Source: THE REGINA LEADER, MARCH 11, 1890.)
- Joel Reaman, Member of the Legislative Assembly of the Territorial government traveled to Ontario in the interest of immigration. (Source: THE REGINA LEADER, March 11, 1890.)
- On August 16th, the Dominion Land Surveyor, R.C. McPhillips declared that
the map of the "Plan of Yorkton" bearing the seal of the Manitoba and North
Western Railway Company of Canada dated Dec.12, 1890, being the north half of
Section 35, Township 25, Range 4 West of the 2nd Meridian was accurate and made
in accordance with the "Territories Real Property Act."
- The Manitoba and North Western Railway extended its line to Yorkton, now at
the new location, 2½ miles ( 4 kilometres) south of the old site. The railway
company put their lots for sale and businesses moved to the new site.
- Yorkton's first school at the new location was "Argyle School" constructed
of field stone and situated on Argyle Street.
- The M. & N.W. Railway's first train pulled into Yorkton on January 9th.
- "N.H. Neilson, Justice of the Peace, met with a severe accident Tuesday last, being so unfortunate as to be kicked by a mule. Dr. Watson dressed the wound and reports the patient doing well." (Source: THE LEADER, Regina, N.W.T. Front page Feb.10 1891.)
- A settlers' train arrived in Yorkton in May, 1891. They had left South
Dakota after a series of very dry years. They brought their household effects
and farm machinery on the train and drove their livestock across country.
- Joel Reaman was elected as Yorkton's first representative to the
Territorial Legislative Council.
- The first newspaper THE MESSENGER, published Issue No. 1 on June 24, and the
last one in September. It was handwritten by Editor, Rev. R.P. Byers, a
- Frederik Robert Insinger, immigrant from the Netherlands, educated
businessman, fluent in English, rancher near Willowbrook, was elected as the
member for Wallace Constituency (which included Yorkton) to the Legislative
Assembly of the North West Territorial Council. He resigned in 1897 and moved to
Spokane Washington to manage a bank.
- John F. Reid, early York Farmers' Colonization Company settler served on
the first board of the Orkney Presbyterian Church.
- On April 29, the Yorkton Anglican Church was officially established as a
- Christie's Funeral Home was founded.
- On July 15th Yorkton achieved the status of "VILLAGE' with a population of
- The Legislative Assembly of the North West Territories authorized the
appointment of a deputy clerk of the court of the Judicial District of the
Eastern District of Assiniboia for the Yorkton area.
- The Legislative Assembly of the North West Territories established a Cheese
and Dairy Association and appointed a Dominion Dairy Commissioner.
-It was reported that the wheat crops of the Yorkton and Saltcoats districts
were excellent. (Source: Journals of the Legislative Assembly of the North West
- THE YORKTON ENTERPRISE began publishing a weekly newspaper.
- An epidemic of scarlet fever and typhoid fever ravaged the area.
- Dr. T. A. Patrick was elected to the Territorial Council of the North West
- On December 10, C.W.R. Pearson opened a branch of the Pickering Private
- The Hudson Bay Company opened a store.
- The Balmoral Hotel was built by R.C. Arnold, and initially known as "Arnold
- An influx of settlers began to arrive by train from various countries, they
were Germans, Russians, Poles, Hungarians, Americans, and in greater numbers,
Ukrainians. The great majority of these pioneers came for the most part to
settle on homesteads still available in the outer reaches of the original York
Colony lands; Rhein, Canora, Beaver Hills, Crooked Lakes, Otthon, Ebenezer,
Preeceville, etc. They continued to arrive until the early 1900s.
- Dr. T. A. Patrick, Secretary of the Board of Trade was corresponding
with THE GOLDIE & McCULLOCH CO. LTD., for equipment supplies for the flour mill
being constructed in the village.
- The City's second school—Victoria School was built on 5th Avenue North.
- On July 1, the Union Bank of Canada, took over the Pickering Private Bank.
- Two organizations were founded this year; the Masonic Lodge and the Odd
- In July this year, after taking part in a parade, Scotty McDonald a well
known horseman took the notion to ride his horse into the Balmoral Hotel bar and
order a drink.