History and Folklore Summary
1910 - 1919
- The C.P.R. roundhouse was in operation in December with two freight trains
leaving daily, one going east and one west. While this building is sometimes
referred to as a "roundhouse" (usually found in large railroad divisional
points) in fact it was an engine shed, with a spur line, likely holding no more
than two locomotives. These were brought into the building to keep them warmed
up, and for the purpose of cleaning and repairs. The train would proceed in
either direction by using rails shaped in a "Y" on which the train would back
up, then the rails were moved using the "switch" device. The "Y" lines were
located around where the Yorkton Tourism offices are today. (Sources: THE
YORKTON ENTERPRISE, and interview with retired CPR Conductor, John Maluga.)
- Father Achille Delaere founded St. Mary's Ukrainian Catholic parish.
- The Agricultural Society was absorbed by the Yorkton Agricultural and
Industrial Association Ltd.
- Prime Minister Wilfrid Laurier visited Yorkton.
- St. Gerard's Roman Catholic church and Monastery were built this year.
- Yorkton received long distance telephone service.
- Levi Beck, Yorkton's "Merchant Prince" was elected Mayor.
- The citizens of Yorkton turned on their electric lights during the spring
of this year.
- Yorkton shipped 2,600,000 bushels of grain. 125,000 remained in the
- The Yorkton High School was officially opened on December 20th by
Lieutenant-Governor Brown and Dr. Murray, the First President of the University
of Saskatchewan. Total cost of the structure and the equipment was $75,000.00.
- The population of the town was 2,309.
- January 2nd, a company of 24 from Sydney Australia, known as the
"Lilliputians"were in Yorkton for a performance and stayed overnight at the
- The YORKTON ENTERPRISE reported that Levi Beck's Yorkton Flour Mill was
regarded as the pioneer industry of the town, making products that have become
household words in eastern Saskatchewan.
- The Hudson Bay Company erected a new building this year.
- Yorkton boasts to be the "largest and most prosperous community in eastern
- A major fire occurred on April 19th when the Canadian Grain Elevator was
- The Rural Municipality of Wallace was organized.
- Charles Donald Livingstone, a lawyer became Mayor. He resigned within a
year to join the army. He achieved the rank of Major, and died in battle in
- On July 3rd, 1,635 Yorkton people visited a "Made in Canada" touring train
of exhibits of a great variety of manufactured products .
- The Rural Municipality of Orkney was organized.
- World War 1 began. Yorkton became the squadron training base for such areas
as Indian Head, Regina, Weyburn and Moosomin. The Royal Hotel became a mess hall
for Yorkton recruits.
- Chief Peepeetch of the Little Bone Reserve was interviewed by a reporter of
THE ENTERPRISE. He gave an account of the local incidents surrounding the events
of the 1885 Riel Uprising.
- The Ladies Auxiliary of the Order of Odd Fellows was founded this year.
- A barrel of oil exploded in the basement of T. H. Collacot's Hardware and
caused a disastrous fire.
- Prohibition in Saskatchewan was enacted July 1st, shutting down the hotel
bars, resulting in province-wide illegal manufacturing of booze. The Bronfman
brothers began to capitalize on all the loopholes of the complicated prohibition
- Simpson School was built on Melrose Avenue.
- The Sacred Heart Institute, a boarding school and orphanage was opened
under the ministry of the Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate.
- Saskatchewan women, over 21 years of age won the right to vote in
municipal, civic and provincial elections.
- Electric lights were installed in early April at these locations: 2 lights
between Betts Avenue and First Avenue, 1 between First and Second Avenue North,
2 between Second Avenue and Third Avenue North, and 1 between Third and Fourth
- At the October 13th Council Meeting a motion was passed to reduce Harry
Bronfman's water account for the year by 40%. This was in consideration of the
lavatories and wash houses in the premises known as the Balmoral Hotel being
kept open for the use of the public.
- John F. Reid was elected Member of Parliament for the Mackenzie
- Thomas Garry defeated J.A.M. Patrick in the Provincial election.
- The Dominion Lands Office located in the J.J. Smith Block on Argyle Street was closed this year. All available homestead lands in the district had been disposed off
- St. Magnus School was formally opened on November 1. (Yorkton Enterprise Oct. 6, 1965.)
- Lieutenant Edmund De Wind, a former Yorkton banker was killed while
defending a position near Grougie, France. He was awarded the Victoria Cross
- A Yorkton landmark, the Royal Hotel was torn down.
- The Yorkton Literary Society held a meeting at the Collegiate Institute on
April 8th. The purpose was to study Longfellows' "EVANGELINE."
- Women over 21 years of age obtained the right to vote in the Federal
- The Dominion Daylight Saving Act was discussed at a town council meeting of
- A "Peace Arch" was erected on the corner of Third Avenue and Broadway to
welcome returning servicemen.
- Harry Bronfman erected a building on the east side of the Balmoral Hotel
and opened the CANADA PURE DRUG COMPANY.
- A Grand Peace Concert" was held in the Town Hall on March 11th in aid of
the Red Cross funds. A chorus of 40 voices sang old songs, and an arrangement of
the "National Anthem of the Allies." There were also male choruses, male
quartettes, mixed and ladies quartettes, and local violin soloists such as Miss
- In a colourful ceremony Right Reverend Bishop Budka laid the cornerstone of
St. Joseph's College on September 7th of this year.
- Construction began on the Provincial Court House on Darlington Street. It was designed by Saskatchewan’s first Provincial Architect, Maurice Sharon. Completed in 1920, it was officially opened in February 1921.
- Yorkton Skating Rink was officially opened on December 4. (Yorkton Enterprise Oct. 6, 1965.)