History and Folklore Summary
1990 - 1999
- On March 26th, the old Hudson Bay Company Store on Broadway Street and 2nd
Avenue received "Municipal Heritage Property" designation.
- The American Bus Association selected Yorkton’s Threshermen Festival as on
of the top 100 events on this continent.
- THE ENTERPRISE AND YORKTON THIS WEEK are purchased by Armadale Company Ltd.
of Hamilton, Ontario.
- The population of the city stood at 15,320.
- The Yorkton Regional High School Girls Volleyball Team took the Provincial
- The Yorkton Regional High School Football Team became Provincial Champions
- YORKTON & DISTRICT PAPER INC., owned by Ken Chyz and David Buscis, starts
publishing THE PAPER , a free-distribution advertising publication.
- The Doukhobor brick house located at #29 Myrtle Avenue received Municipal
Heritage designation on August 10th.
- Labatt’s Men’s Curling Playoffs were held here this year.
- Members of the Zion Eight Scout Troop planted 13 trees at the Arboretum,
representing each Province and Territory, and one representing the First
- YORKTON AND DISTRICT PAPER INC. begins publishing THE NEWS PAPER which is
free of charge to residents.
- The Yorkton Credit Union Ltd. introduced the city's first Drive Through
ATM.( Source: Booklet "50 years of History YORKTON CREDIT UNION LTD. 1943-1993)
- In March eleven area residents received a medal each for their contribution
to the community and to the country. Presentation was made by Lorne Nystrom, N.
D. P. Member of Parliament.
- The Sports Hall of Fame was established with founding members: Vern Pachal,
President, Dave Rusnak, Randy Goulden, Bev Fruin, Patti Pilon, Lynda Ziglo, Dave
Baron, Byron McCorkell, Merv Laube, Gordon Johnson and Gerry Bulitz.
- The Yorkton Credit Union had the grand opening of their new building at #64
Broadway Street East on Tuesday, November 2nd.
- On December 13, the official opening of the City of Yorkton and R.C.M.P.
building was held. Master of Ceremonies was G. Wayne, Jensen, City Commissioner.
- The Kinsmen Recycling Centre began operation in May this year.
- Canada Post issued a stamp in the Architecture series illustrating the
Provincial Court House in Yorkton, describing it as "A distinctive public
landmark....a striking example of the Beaux-Arts style of architecture in
- The Special Olympics Summer Games were held in Yorkton.
- Yorkton was host to the Saskatchewan Country Music Awards.
- Saskatchewan Wildlife Convention was held here, with 350 delegates
- Yorkton hosted the Western Divisional Figure Skating Competitions.
- The Canadian High School Rodeo was initiated in Yorkton this year.
- Yorkton Regional High School initiated the Student Leadership Conference
hosting 1500 delegates from across the United States and Canada.
- Demolition of the old City Hall building at #29 Third Avenue North, began
in June and was completed in December.
- In April a large area around Yorkton experienced extreme flooding due to
the swollen Assiniboine River.
- Yorkton hosted the Western Canadian Premiers Conference.
- The British Commonwealth Air Training Plan held a 50th Anniversary Reunion.
- On the occasion of the 65 Anniversary, Morris Industries held a "Dealer
- The Henry Apartments at #81 Second Avenue North was designated a Municipal
Heritage Property on February 26th.
- THE COMMUNITY REVIEW is first published by Community Publishing Ltd.
- The Painted Hand Casino opened its doors at 30- 3rd Avenue North on
- The official opening of the building housing Tourism Yorkton and The
Yorkton Chamber of Commerce took place on June 6.
- A reunion celebration of the Yorkton Terriers was held this year.
- The Yorkton Chamber of Commerce held their first "Celebrate Success" Awards
- Work got underway to redesign Jubilee Park to upgrade it to standards
required for provincial competitions.
- The population stood at 16,783.
- The Logan Green Committee as part of the Arbor Day project asked Yorkdale
School for help to plant 3,400 trees on Logan Green park. One hundred and fifty
students from Grades 4, 5 and 6 were responsible for about 30 trees each. The
project was funded by the Logan Green Committee and the City ofYorkton.(Yorkton
This Week & Enterprise, May 27, 1998.)
- FLETCHER'S DRUG STORE was sold after 48 years of operation and finished business on Wednesday, June 30th. It was the longest continuous Drug Store/Pharmacy in Yorkton and Western Canada, owned by only four different families dating back to 1895. (Source: Garry Fletcher.)
- Yorkton Tribal Council celebrated the opening of Safe Haven on Bradbrooke
Drive on October 30th.
- St. Paul Lutheran Church was designated as a Municipal Heritage Property on
- Yorkton hosted the Saskatchewan Real Estate Convention attended by 250
- Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce Annual Convention was held here with an
excess of 500 delegates.
- In December, the new water Tower was erected.
- Yorkton hosted the National Hockey Championship Royal Bank Cup.
- The Parkland Writers’ Alliance instituted a one day Children’s Writing
Workshop at the Public Library.
- The population of the city reached 17,113. (Sask. Health figures.)
- It was the 25th year of the Yorkton Arts Council "Stars for Saskatchewan
- The first water tower built in 1930 was demolished in August this year.