Residential Garbage Pickup
Environmental Services Department
Tel: (306) 828-2470
Fax (306) 786-6880
The City provides for the pick up of household garbage by a contracted service with Ottenbreit Sanitation Services Limited. Ottenbreit Sanitation provides for pick up of residential refuse once per week. To find out what day your refuse container will be emptied, please refer to the Garbage Collection Schedule: Garbage Collection Schedule
To accomodate weekly residential refuse collection when your scheduled pickup day occurs on a Statutory Holiday, the following changes will be made: 2018 Residential Refuse Collection Schedule Changes
The City of Yorkton has converted most residential dwellings to the front street roll out cart for your refuse disposal. Specialized equipment is utilized to lift and empty the roll out when it is appropriately placed at your curb. For instructions on cart placement, please refer to the Guidelines: Residential Roll Out Cart Placement Guidelines.
Following a few simple steps will ensure proper disposal of your refuse:
- Bag all refuse prior to placing it in the cart.
- Pull the cart - it's easier than pushing.
- Keep the lid closed. You must be able to close the lid without packing the garbage in the cart otherwise the excess weight will make emptying the cart more difficult.
- Always have the wheels of the container facing the curb. If your house is on a street or avenue without a curb, please place the container on the road making sure the garbage truck can reach the cart.
- If there is a snow bank built up along the curb, ensure the cart is out further than the snow bank. Residents should refrain from parking on the street on collection day, however, if there are vehicles on the street, please place the container in the location as illustrated in the "Residential Roll Out Cart Placement Guidelines".
- Your cart must be placed on the street or avenue which corresponds with your address.
- To avoid having your cart missed; please place it out the night before your assigned collection day.
- Remove empty carts from the street and properly store them at the back of your home.
- For your child's safety, do not allow them to play near the roll out carts or the garbage collection vehicle.
Other important facts to remember:
- Do not remove the cart from its assigned address. If you move, the cart must remain at that location for the next residents use.
- Do not paint or write on the cart.
- Do not dispose of hot ashes, oil or contaminants in the cart.
- Do not put construction debris in the cart.
- Inform Ottenbreit Sanitation of any damage, vandalism or theft of the cart. It is important to note the serial number stamped on the cart placed at your residence.
- You are responsible for your cart so PLEASE TAKE CARE OF IT.
If you live in an area where there are large refuse containers, such as an apartment building, that is your method of disposal for household refuse only. Dumpsters MUST NOT be used for disposal of the following items:
- Furniture (mattresses, sofas, chairs, dressers, etc.)
- Construction Debris (concrete, drywall, lumber, carpet or other flooring materials, shingles, etc.)
- Yard Debris (unbagged grass clippings, large tree branches, soil or sod rocks, etc.)
- Flammable materials (ashes from wood stoves/fireplaces that have not been properly cooled)
All household refuse must be placed inside the refuse container. Refuse left alongside or next to the container will not be collected by the City's contractor and cleanup of this refuse becomes the responsiblity of the property owner.