Water Advisories

 Current Advisories

 Past Advisories


See Also…

Environmental Services

FAQs for Water Advisories

What is a DWA?

A DWA is a Drinking Water Advisory. See more on their purpose and what to do if you receive one.

Why does the City issue a DWA?

DWA’s are issued during all infrastructure construction/repairs affecting the water system. The City of Yorkton follows specific procedures to ensure that the water supply remains safe, but it is possible for the system to become contaminated by its surroundings such as soil or other contaminants.

If I have a Reverse Osmosis (R.O.) system or a water softener, do I still need to boil my water?

An R.O. system, or Water Softener, does filter certain impurities, but they DO NOT disinfect the water free of bacteria. It is recommended that you boil water for the following forms of use:

  • Drinking
  • Brushing teeth
  • Washing fruits and vegetables
  • Preparing food or drink which will not be subsequently heated
  • Making ice
  • Soaking false teeth
  • Hand dishwashing

Why is the City now using door hangers?

  • Our door hanger notices are designed to improve the level of communication provided to all affected residents during an advisory in providing them with the necessary information (ie: location affected, date advisory was is in effect, and instructions to follow during and also after the advisory has been lifted).
  • The water advisory notification system is designed to meet provincial standards.
  • All the necessary testing that was being done prior to the door hangers being implemented will still be followed. This does not change any of the quality testing procedures.

How do I know my water is safe to drink?

The City's waterworks system operates under a Permit, which is issued by the Water Security Agency (formerly Saskatchewan Ministry of Environment). Within that permit are strict guidelines that include: testing protocol, calculation and summation of records, sample collection, and water quality objectives.

To ensure these objectives are met the City uses chlorine to disinfect the water. The government states that the chlorine residual will not be lower than 0.1 mg/L free chlorine or 0.5 mg/L total chlorine anywhere in the distribution system. To achieve this, the City must insure that the water leaving the plant has enough chlorine to obtain these results at the far end of the distribution system.

The City must meet these requirements set out by the Water Security Agency:

  • Submit weekly - Three (3) Bacteriological Samples for total coliforms.
  • Submit a General Health and Total Toxicity Test once per year from the distribution system.
  • Submit a General Chemical Test twice per year.
  • Make these test results available to the public in a yearly Consumer Report which is posted on the City website.

What is the importance of disinfection by way of chlorination?

Chlorine is used as a form of disinfection for drinking water in order to eliminate bacteria and viruses that may lead to a wide variation of illnesses and possible life threatening diseases. In addition to being able to meet necessary drinking water requirements set out by the federal and provincial government, chlorine is also the most commonly used method of water disinfection without requiring any secondary form of treatment. It is also has the most scientific information available in terms of effectiveness in both treatment and recontamination prevention.

Where Can I Find Additional Information?

Information can be found on the Door Hangers, in the event you are put under a Water Advisory, and following the links provided through the City website concerning Water Advisories & Water Treatment.

How will residents in apartment buildings and condominiums, etc. be notified?

Residents will be notified by the building manager and posters placed in the entrances of these buildings on bulletins.

Does the City compensate for the water being flushed?

The City of Yorkton WILL NOT compensate for any water being flushed due to the DWA’s.