The City of Yorkton would like to thank the following individuals who have volunteered to sit on the Committees listed below.
Municipal Planning Commission
Councillor Chris Wyatt
*Alternate: Councillor Larry Pearen
Lenore Pinder *Alternate: Ray Sass (Good Spirit School Division)
The function of the Municipal Planning Commission is to advise and assist City Council with respect to all matters pertaining to community planning and development.
These matters typically include:
- Zoning Bylaw Amendments (including rezoning)
- Discretionary Use applications
- Condominium Conversion applications
- Permanent Closure of Streets and Lanes
- Major and Minor Subdivisions
- Subdivision and Zoning Bylaw Amendments within the Yorkton Planning District
The Commission consists of seven to nine members, including:
- one representative from City Council
- one representative from the Good Spirit School Division
- one representative from the Christ the Teacher Catholic School Division
- up to six eligible representatives from the City at large
The Commission meets once monthly, on Wednesdays at 7:00 a.m., except for the month of August.
Leisure Services Committee
Councillor Bob Maloney *Alternate: Councillor Chris Wyatt
The Leisure Services Committee participates in an advisory role to facilitate and enable the development and improvement of leisure activities and community services that promote and enhance personal health, human development, strong families, and a healthy community for the residents of the City of Yorkton.
Areas of focus for 2010 include:
- Continue planning and co-ordination for the implementation of an Active Transportation network throughout the City.
- Continue building community capacity by developing youth leadership, volunteer development and neighborhood cohesiveness initiatives.
- Continue planning and co-ordination of programs and initiatives that maintain the health of the natural environment.
- Continue working on the master plan for future improvements to the Kinsmen Arena.
- Consider the implementation recommendations resulting from the recently completed Cultural Mapping process.
- Continue working towards providing residents with access to leisure activities in a safe, effective and efficient manner.
- Continue planning for community emergency preparedness
Gallagher Centre Management Board
Mayor James Wilson
Councillor Richard Okrainec
Councillor Larry Pearen
Councillor Chris Wyatt
Councillor Bob Maloney
The Gallagher Centre Management Board is a continuation of the original Agriplex Management Board. The original Agriplex Management Board was formed to assist the General Manager who assumed the duties of General Manager of both the Agriplex and the Yorkton Exhibition Association. With the completion of the renovations and expansion of the main facility the Yorkton Exhibition Association asked to have the management duties split and hire their own manager.
With the name change to the Gallagher Centre, the management board is now known as the Gallagher Centre Management Board. The Management Board is comprised of 9 members – 5 from the City of Yorkton and 4 from the Yorkton Exhibition Board.
The Gallagher Centre Management Board currently serves mainly as an advisory board to the General Manager of the Gallagher Centre. The Management Board does, however, decide on the acquisition and disposition of any of the land. Any land sales would require the unanimous approval of the Management Board. The Management Board makes recommendations to City Council with respect to land sales and budget. The Management Board has been delegated the authority to enter into contracts, and to carry out the overall operation of the Gallagher Centre.
Watch for other Committees and Commissions of Council to be featured
In future issues of the Yorkton This Week!