Newcomer and Immigrant Resources

East Central Newcomer Welcome Centre is your starting point to guide your move, settlement and fresh start in Yorkton. We will let you know what Yorkton has to offer, including arts and culture, housing, health and employment information.

It is important for newcomers to follow all procedures and to complete the right documentation before moving to Canada. For information on immigration to Canada, visit Service Canada.

Identification and government documents

You will need new documents and identification in Canada. The most common are a Saskatchewan Driver's Licence, Saskatchewan Health Card and Social Insurance Number (SIN).

Saskatchewan Driver's Licence

What is a driver's licence?

  • A driver's licence is an official government document that permits a person to operate a motorized vehicle such as a motorcycle, car, truck or bus on a public roadway.
  • In Saskatchewan, a driver's licence is a one-piece plastic card.
  • It includes a photograph and signature of the driver, as well as other personal information.

Why should I get one?

  • If you plan to drive a car, motorcycle or truck in Canada you will need a driver's licence.

How do I apply for a driver's licence?

  • Contact the SGI – Yorkton Driver Exam Office. You can book your driver's test by calling 1-844-855-2744.
  • Be prepared to show proof of your legal name, date of birth and signature.
  • If you have a driver's licence from another country, take a look at SGI's moving to Saskatchewan page.
  • Study the Official Drivers Handbook
  • Take the written test
  • Book your road test

What happens after I get my driver's licence?

  • Get insurance on your vehicle for all drivers in your family.
  • Keep the information on your licence updated.

Saskatchewan Health Card

What is a health card?

A health card is a government-issued document that allows you to receive health benefits.

Why should I get one?

A resident of Saskatchewan must have a health card to show that he or she is entitled to paid health care services.

How do I apply for a Saskatchewan Health Card?

  • Find out if you are eligible for a health card in Saskatchewan. It will take at least three months to take effect.
  • You must complete a registration form for Saskatchewan Health Coverage.
  • You must bring three original documents to prove that you are eligible, citizenship/immigration status, your residence in Saskatchewan and your identity.
  • For more information about applying, visit the eHealth Saskatchewan website.

What happens after I get my health card?

  • Carry your health card at all times.
  • If your address, name, etc. changes, you are required to update that information accordingly with eHealth Saskatchewan.
  • Keep your card safe. Do not share your health card with people you don't know or don't trust.

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

What is a SIN?

A SIN is a nine-digit, unique number that you need to work in Canada or access government programs and benefits.

Why should I get a SIN card?

It's the only way to work in Canada or to access government programs such as health care.

How do I apply for a SIN?

  • Apply online; or
  • Apply by mail:
    • Download an application form from the Service Canada website.
    • Send the application with original copies.
    • A fee may apply if the SIN card needs to be replaced.
    • You will receive your SIN card within 20 business days after the application has been received.

What happens after I get my SIN card?

  • Only provide your SIN if you know that it is legally required. By doing this, you can reduce chances of identity theft.
  • Never provide your SIN over the phone or by email.
  • Be prepared to use your SIN card when: accepting a job contract, filling your income tax, applying for any government benefit such as employment insurance, child tax benefits and social assistance benefits.
  • Inform Service Canada if your card is lost.
  • Always keep your card in a safe place.
  • Do not share your SIN card with people you don't know or don't trust.

For more information, visit Service Canada.