Development Permits

City of Yorkton creates, reviews and applies land use policies and bylaws. All property in the City of Yorkton is assigned a Zoning District. In each zone, land uses can be permitted, prohibited or discretionary. Any development proposal which falls under a permitted use requires approval by City staff before development may occur. Before you begin building or renovating please contact Planning and Land Use.

When do I need a development permit?

  • Constructing a new building
  • Adding on to an existing building
  • Changing the use of a building
  • Changing the use of a site
  • Grading or leveling of land

How do I apply?

  1. Book a pre-application meeting by contacting Planning and Land Use;
  2. Complete the Development Permit Application;
  3. Submit your application in person or by email to Planning and Land Use;
  4. Your application will then go through the Development Permit Process;
    • Permits for smaller developments usually take about two weeks to process.
    • Permits for larger developments usually take several more weeks.
  5. Pay applicable fees.


Our fees are described in our Fees Bylaw.

Fees depend on the complexity of your development which affect the processing and review time.

  • There may not be a fee for small developments, for example a change in use that does not require any site improvements such as parking and landscaping.
  • Fees can exceed $2,500 for larger, complex developments.
  • For an estimate, please contact Planning and Land Use.

Other requirements

After receiving your Development Permit, you may need the following:

Appealing a decision

If your development permit is denied or you do not agree with the conditions, you may be able to make an appeal to the Development Appeals Board.