Sign Permit

The City regulates exterior signs on buildings and site through its Sign Bylaw. The intent of these regulations is to protect property values and to prevent and reduce potential safety hazards.

What do I need a Sign Permit for?

  • Free-standing signs
  • Billboards
  • Electronic message signs

A building sign (fascia sign) does not need a Sign Permit but must meet the regulations of the Sign Bylaw.

Unsure if you need a Sign Permit? Contact Planning and Land Use for more information.

How do I apply?

  1. Complete the Sign Permit Application.
  2. Submit your application in person or by email to Planning and Land Use.
  3. The application process may take up to 2 weeks although in many cases is less than that.
  4. Pay the minimum $25 fee or $1 per ft2 of the surface area of a sign, as listed in Schedule B of the Zoning Bylaw.

Appealing a decision

If your Sign Permit is denied or you do not agree with the conditions, you may be able to make an appeal to the Development Appeals Board.