Relocating to Yorkton
Economic Development Officer
Tel: (306) 786-1747
Fax: (306) 786-6880
TOP REASONS FOR RELOCATION
1) Growth in Yorkton:
- Yorkton has shown a substantial growth in building construction levels; with $377 million worth of building permits issued since from 2008 - 2015.
- Yorkton has a diversified economic base with more than 1,000 businesses, which employ over 9,000 workers. Manufacturing, food processing, construction, agribusiness, retail trade, and healthcare are the current strengths of Yorkton’s economy.
- Yorkton is a centre for food processing with two canola oil crushing plants plus grain and meat processing. These three industries alone have over 500 employees.
- Yorkton is in the middle of the largest and richest potash field in east central Saskatchewan. The majority of potash mines are serviced from communities within 100 kilometers and several potential projects are within 120 kilometers of Yorkton.
2) Premier Infrastructure for Business:
- Three primary highways, one secondary highway, both national railways and an extensive network of well-maintained roads provide access to National and International markets.
- Businesses located at the Yorkton Regional Airport provide services such as aircraft maintenance, bulk fuel services for charter and corporate flights, flight training and many other aircraft related operations.
- SaskTel, SaskPower and SaskEnergy provide telecommunication services, electricity and natural gas, respectively
- Eight financial institutions and four real estate companies are located in Yorkton.
- The Yorkton Regional Health Centre and sanitary landfill facility provide regional-scale facilities to the City’s trade area, and the City’s sewage treatment plant and new water treatment plant have sufficient capacity to provide needed services for the foreseeable future.
3) Telecommunication infrastructure:
- Yorkton is connected with Community Net, Saskatchewan’s public sector high-speed internet telecommunications network. Our schools, library and health centre have high-speed internet capabilities through Community Net. SaskTel, a crown corporation, provides services to the individuals and businesses including landline and wireless phone service, high-speed internet, and television service.
- Access Communication, a private organization, also provides landline phone service, high-speed internet, and television service.
4) Huge trading area:
- Three major shopping malls (Parkland Mall, Linden Square Mall, Flamingo Square Mall), six retail box stores (Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire, Superstore, Staples, The Brick, Sport Chek / Atmosphere) and numerous retail stores in Yorkton serve a population of more than 150,000 within a 150km radius.
- As an illustration of Yorkton's large trading area, retail sales are at $576,840,000.
5) Quality of Life:
- Excellent public and separate elementary and high schools.
- The Parkland Regional College provides post-secondary technical skills and university programs.
- Quality housing.
- Excellent health and medical services.
- Yorkton offers several outdoor amenities such as parks, pathways, trails, playgrounds, ball diamonds, soccer pitches, outdoor rinks, tennis courts and golf courses.
- The City’s Gallagher Centre, a recreational multiplex provides a state-of-the-art water park, skating arena, curling rink, indoor walking/jogging track, indoor soccer field, trade shows and convention facilities.
- The City has introduced a pedestrian/bicycle network of pathways that connects several nature/recreational trails to the downtown.
- The City has a number of major social/cultural facilities, including the Gallagher Centre, the Kinsmen Arena, the Godfrey Dean Cultural Centre, the Gloria Hayden Community Centre and the Yorkton Public Library, which support numerous recreational, cultural and sporting events throughout the year.
- Painted Hand Casino, operated by Saskatchewan Indian Gaming Authority (SIGA), provides gaming facilities with 225 slot machines, seven live table games, and a multipurpose room that seats up to 500 people.
6) Business Friendly Environment:
- Yorkton offers good business climate for growth and profit.
- Attractive to foreign investment.
7) Available land for Development:
- Approximately 23 acres of serviced commercial land and 10 acres of serviced industial land is available for development throughout the City.
- Rapid growth in Yorkton has resulted in annexation of adjacent lands in the R.M. of Wallace and the R.M. of Orkney for future development.
8) Cost Competitive:
- Moderate Property taxes.
- Competitive lease rates and land prices.
9) Labor Force:
- An estimated labor force of 62,900 is available within 150km radius.
- As a regional growth centre, approximately 1,800 workers commute everyday in Yorkton for work.