The Zoning Bylaw helps the City carry out the goals of the Official Community Plan. All land in the City of Yorkton is assigned a zoning district as shown on the Zoning Map and each zone has its own allowable land uses that are listed in the Zoning Bylaw. The Zoning Bylaw also contains regulations such as building setbacks and parking and landscaping requirements.

We recommend reviewing the Zoning Map and Zoning Bylaw before purchasing land, opening a business, starting building construction or a renovation project, or placing a shipping container.

Can the Zoning Map and Zoning Bylaw be amended?

Planning and Land Use update the Zoning Map and Zoning Bylaw as required.

If your development does not fall within the zoning district or cannot meet regulations, you may be able to apply to amend the Zoning Map and the Zoning Bylaw.

There are two types of Zoning Bylaw Amendments:

  • Map Amendment - which involves changing the zoning district for a piece of land
  • Text Amendment - which involves changing, deleting or adding development standards within a zoning district

How can I apply to amend the Zoning Map and/or Zoning Bylaw?

  1. Book a pre-application meeting by contacting Planning and Land Use.
  2. Complete the Zoning Bylaw Amendment application form including supporting documentation.
  3. Submit your application in person or by email to Planning and Land Use.
  4. Pay the $250 application fee listed in Schedule B of the Zoning Bylaw.

Applications are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and your application, which includes 2 presentations to City Council, takes a minimum of 5 weeks to go through the application process.

Appealing a decision

A refusal by City Council cannot be appealed, however you can re-apply again after six months from the date of the refusal.