Business Licences

Any business or individual operating or selling within the City of Yorkton requires an active Business Licence. Business Licences are issued on an annual basis from January 1 to December 31. For more information, please view our Business Licence Bylaw.

Types of Business Licences

Resident Business Licence

A Resident Business Licence is for permanent businesses operating within the City of Yorkton.

How do I apply?

  1. Obtain the required permits;
  2. Fill out the Resident Business Licence Form;
  3. Pay the $100 fee for a new business.

Resident Business Licences expire every year on December 31.

Home-Based Business

If you are operating out of a home within the City of Yorkton, please see Procedures and Requirements for Home Based Businesses.

Non-Resident Business Licence

A Non-Resident Business Licence is for any out-of-town businesses operating within the City Limits of Yorkton.

How do I apply?

  1. Fill out the Non-Resident Business Licence Form;
  2. Pay the $250 fee for a new business.

Direct Seller's Licence

Who needs a Direct Seller's Licence?

  • Telephone sales
  • Door-to-door sales
  • Home based party sellers

For more information see Government of Saskatchewan's regulations.

How do I apply?

  1. Fill out the Direct Seller's Licence Form;
  2. Submit the application form in person to Building Services;
  3. Pay the annual fee of $250.

Transient Trader Licence

Who needs a Transient Trader Licence?

  • Anyone operating within Yorkton for no more than seven days
  • A business located outside of the City of Yorkton
  • A business operating under a non-permanent basis within City limits

Transient Traders include but are not limited to:

  • Fruit stands
  • Fish trucks
  • Trade show booths
  • Circus or other traveling entertainment or exhibits
  • Farmer's markets
  • Pop up shops

How do I apply?

  1. Fill out the Transient Trader Licence Form;
  2. Submit the form by person or email;
  3. Pay the $100 fee.

A Transient Trader Licence is only valid for up to seven days

How do I renew my Business Licence?

  1. Fill out the Business Licence Renewal Form;
  2. Pay the appropriate renewal fee.
    • $50 for Resident Business
    • $200 for Non-Resident Business
    • Make your payment before March 31 to avoid an application fee of $50.

Business Renewal Licences expire every year on December 31.

How do I make a change to my Business Licence?

Cancelling a Business Licence

  1. Fill out the Business Licence Cancellation Form;

Changing your business's physical address

  1. Fill out the Business Licence Change Form; 
  2. Pay the $50 application fee.

All other changes

  1. Fill out the Business Licence Change Form for the following changes:
    • Corporate or business name
    • Owner name(s)
    • Mailing Address
    • Phone number
    • Email
    • Description or type of business
  2. Pay the $50 application fee if requesting a new updated Business Licence. No fee for only updating account information.

How can I pay for my Business Licence?

Once you have received an invoice for your Business Licence, there are several options to pay:

Pay by credit card

You can choose to pay your invoice by credit card online.

Please note that we will send you the appropriate link once your Business Licence Application is processed. A convenience fee is charged for the use of this service.

Pay by online banking

Online banking is available through most financial institutions.

  1. Log into your online bank account;
  2. Add “City of Yorkton” as a payee;
  3. Choose the option for accounts receivable;
  4. Use your 7 digit customer account number which you will find in the top right corner of your invoice

Contact your financial institution if you need help setting up your account for online payments.

Pay by mail

Send your cheque along with the payment stub to:

City of Yorkton
P.O. Box 400
Yorkton, SK S3N 2W3

Pay using our after-hours drop box

You can pay by cheque using the 24-hour payment drop box located inside the front doors of City Hall.

Please include your payment stub with your cheque in a sealed envelope.

Please do not put cash payments in the drop box

Pay in person

City Hall is located at 37 Third Avenue North in Yorkton

Business hours are: Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (excluding holidays)

Acceptable payments include:

  • Cash
  • Cheque – payable to the City of Yorkton
  • Money orders
  • Interac (debit) payments

Please note: We do not accept credit card payments in person.

Other resources