Appeal Process

Prior to filing a complaint (appeal), contact the Saskatchewan Assessment Management Agency (SAMA), to discuss it with an assessor. If you still think there is an error, you can file an appeal with the Board of Revision. They are an independent board council appointed to hear assessment appeals.

Notice of appeal

Complete the Notice of Appeal form. Physical copies of these forms are available at City Hall.

You can mail or deliver in person your appeal form and payment before the deadline to:

Secretary of the Board of Revision
37 Third Avenue North
Yorkton, Saskatchewan S3N 2W3

The Secretary of the Board of Revision will notify you, in writing, of the date and time of your hearing.

Appeal fees

Include the following appeal fee with your Notice of Appeal.

  • Arable, Non-Arable: $100
  • Residential and Condominium Properties: $100
  • Multi-Unit, Commercial, Elevators and Railway Properties:
    • $300 per assessed property value up to $1,000,000
    • $450 per assessed property value $1,000,001 to $5,000,000
    • $600 per assessed property value over $5,000,000

You will receive a refund of your fee if you are successful in having your assessment reduced.

Tips to remember

The grounds for appeal must be specific. Phrases such as “assessment too high” and “assessment too low” are not enough. When you file an appeal, complete the notice and include facts and evidence.

The secretary of the board will review your notice of appeal. If it does not meet the requirements, the secretary will provide you up to 14 days to make corrections.

Learn more about Assessment Appeals by reading the Assessment Appeals Guide.

You cannot appeal your taxes. Tax policy is a decision made by your council. If you have concerns about your taxes, you should call a member of your Council.

If you file an appeal, you still have to pay your taxes to avoid penalties. We will adjust your account if your assessment is lowered.

Withdrawing your appeal

If you would like to withdraw your appeal, contact the City of Yorkton and they will direct you where to send the withdrawal notice.

If you withdraw 15 days or more before your scheduled hearing, your fee will be refunded.