City News

Current News

Media Releases


 Media Releases

 NewsPaper Ads

City of Yorkton News
May 8 to May 14, 2003


Remember,  past articles can be found in the Archives.




Development Officer/Building Inspector

The City of Yorkton is currently accepting applications for the position of Development Officer/Building Inspector.

Job applications, including a resume and three references, should be submitted to the Human Resources Dept. by May 23/03.

Addition information on this position can be found on the Employment Page.




Public Notice
Discretionary Use

The Council of the City of Yorkton pursuant to Section 74 of The Planning and Development Act, 1983 hereby gives notice of its intention to consider a Discretionary Use Application for 374 Gladstone South.

The Discretionary Use, which is being applied for, is to allow for the development of a Church in this location.

Any person may make oral or written representation to City Council at its meeting to be held on Monday, May 12, 2003 in City Hall Council Chambers, Yorkton, Saskatchewan at 7:00 p.m. Oral or written submissions will be considered when the public hearing in respect to this Application is in session.

Jeffrey Humble, PPS, MCIP 
Manager of Community Planning




Landfill Hours

The spring & summer landfill hours are as follows:


Monday to Friday:
8:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.


Monday to Saturday  8:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.


Please enter not later than 15 minutes before closing to allow for material handling.

City Bylaw #16-1981 requires that all loads transported to the landfill be securely fastened so as not to allow debris to fall onto the highway, offences subject to a $100 fine.




Next Council Meeting

The Next council meeting will be held on May 12, 2003 at 7:00 p.m.



Public Notice
Notice of Meetings

The next meeting of the Municipal Heritage Advisory Sub-Commission will be held on:

Date:  May 15, 2003
Time: 3:00 p.m.
Location: Meeting Room "C" - City Hall

The next meeting of the Protective Services Commission will be held on: 

Date:  May 20, 2003 
Time: 7:00 a.m.
Location: Meeting Room "A" - City Hall

The next meeting of the Economic Development Commission will be held on: 

Date:  May 20, 2003 
Time: 5:00 p.m.
Location: Good Spirit REDA Boardroom
23-D Smith Street W.



Parks Department News

The Parks Department will be undertaking the army worm control program over the next couple of weeks to a month. The product being used is Ambush. Hours of control will be between 4:00 am to 7:00 am. The priority areas are downtown core area, parks and Broadway Street. Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible to do a City-wide campaign. The boulevard trees will also be looked at if time permits; however the City will not spray any private trees. 

If army worms are becoming a real problem, please call 768-1750.




Gloria Hayden Community Centre
Summer Hours of Operation

 (May 1, 2003 TO September 2003)

8:30am TO 5:00pm

8:30am TO 10:00pm






Request for Quotation 

The City of Yorkton Department of Leisure Services-Parks Department invites you to provide a quotation for: "Trail Construction-Ravine Ecological Preserve" 

Your quotation must be received by 4:30 pm, May 16, 2003.  Please send quotation to the City of Yorkton, Department of Leisure Services.

 For more information, please visit Tenders and Proposals 




Business License Fees Revised

Pursuant to the adoption of Business License Bylaw 24/2003 new fees for Business Licenses have been adopted.

A Business License shall not be issued nor considered valid without payment of fees as prescribed in Table 15.1.

Table 15.1

Type of License Application fee1 Document Processing Fee2 Annual Renewal Fee3 Pro-Rated Fee4  After September 1
Resident $50.00 $25.00 $25.00 N/A
Non Resident  $50.00 $25.00 $200.00 $100.00
Home Based Business $50.00 $25.00 $25.00 N/A
Home Occupation $50.00 $25.00 $25.00 N/A
Trade Shows $10.00per table for events four days or less
$20.00 per table for events five days or more
Transient Traders $200.00 for each two week period or portion thereof.
Direct Sellers As per Resident and Non Resident schedule.
Direct Sales Contractors As per Resident and Non Resident schedule.
Fish Pedlars As per Resident and Non Resident schedule.
Notes to Table 15.1
  1. Applied one time only at time application is received.
  2. Applies to: 
    each third party document required for consideration prior to issuance of license; any change of information; and license renewals if for any reason the license was canceled at any time by the license holder.
  3. Applied at time of application and each year during continued operation of the business.
  4. Applied as the Annual Renewal fee for all applications received after September 1, in application year only.

Application for license may be made at City Hall




Reminder: Bicycles are Vehicles 

 The City of Yorkton would like to remind you that bicycles are vehicles.

  • All bicycles in the City of Yorkton require a one-time license for a cost of $5.00.
  • The license is valid for as long as the bicycle remains the property of the registered owner.
  • Unlicensed bicycles may be impounded and are subject to a $25.00 fine.

Bicycle Licenses can be purchased at: Yorkton Fire Hall located at 9 Smith Street East. Tuesday - Friday: 9 a.m. - noon and 4 p.m. - 8 p.m. 
Saturday - Sunday: noon - 8 p.m.




Garage Sales

Spring and Summer are the time of year for yard and garage sales. It is illegal to place signs of any type, including those for yard sales, on boulevards, lamp posts, sidewalks or other City property. Your best advertising is still your local newspaper. Garage Sale signs are to be placed on your own private property for location identification.

City of Yorkton Zoning Bylaw #9/96 states the following:

No advertisement shall be permitted which is attached to a fence, pole, tree, or any object in a public street or place.

No advertisement shall be permitted which is attached to or standing on the ground in any public street or place.

Signs in violation of this bylaw will be picked up at owner's expense.

For more information please call the Bylaw Control Department at 786-1725.